It’s crazy town here at the moment* but I’ve got a bit of a kit of awesome things that are helping me get through the crazy. Maybe some of them might be useful for you too (you can’t have my mum though, sorry – there’s a waiting list for dibs on her. Not really willing to share the kids either, but totally willing to share their cute, which you can partake in by following me on Instagram).
- 20 minute deep stretch yoga for neck and shoulders with Sara Beth Yoga on YouTube.
- The Headspace meditation app, which I’ve been using to learn how to meditate (this works, by the way – I’m one of those people who finds it hard to quiet their mind and I can do this).
- The Okapi coffee capsules from Zarraffa’s Coffee for my Nespresso – delicious!
- Perfect Potion Sweet Dreams Balm on my temples and the back of my neck at bedtime.
- Pomodoros for focused writing (made even better by doing them with a virtual buddy – thanks Kathleen!).
- My new to do list manager Todoist, where I’m blithely dumping things to deal with after 1 July.
- A little bit of Bulla Creamy Classics Chocolate Chip ice cream every night (and maybe a spoonful or three during the day as a reward).
- New comfy work from home clothes courtesy the recent Bonds 40% off sale. Super soft, unpilled jersey tees and harem pants.
- A claw hair clip I found in the bottom of the bathroom cupboard – so much better for headache management than a ponytail.
- Blogging – it’s so nice to write something other than thesis!
- And most importantly, my support crew:
- my supervisors (every thing seems much clearer after a 10 minute chat. I know people have horrible experiences of PhD supervision and I don’t know how they get through the process without great supervisors)
- friends who have spent half their weekend reading and reviewing my work (thanks Zaana!)
- my team, who always deliver and who are always offering to help with work to free up my time to write
- my friends and colleagues – my personal learning network, really – who send me supportive messages, love via Instagram, and chant my mantra – it’s just one more week – with me
- the babes, who give me restorative hugs, make me snacks (okay, that one is only Ms 6), draw me pictures for my office, and who make my world shiny every time they step into sight
- my mum, who puts up with me being an absolute cow (seriously, I’m a nightmare when I’m stressed), brings me a Maccas Coke home every day (I’m pretty much a postmix Coke addict), cooks for me even though she hates cooking, reminds me to sleep and breathe and stuff, and patiently listens to me rant about objects of study even though it’s really boring.
It’s just one more week! Not even! Woo!
* On Monday, I have to submit my thesis and an application for a job that would essentially give me permanency in my current job. And at work it’s the week we finalise grades, and because I had a huge teaching load this semester that’s quite a bit of admin. Plus other things I’m trying not to think about because: THESIS!